Friday, September 09, 2005

Cuz You Had a Bad Day

This is a good song, by the way. It's about someone having a bad day, but it's so relaxing and has the perfect sound.

Have you ever just had one of those awful, excruciating days? Well, so have I. And I don't know how to fix it. Hey, if I could, I wouldn't be having them, would I? But here's something I realized about my bad days: usually, it means I was fixated on myself. How else could I take everything so personally? Once I get my focus off of me and onto more important matters (hm, like furthering the kingdom?), things don't necessarily get better, but they are suddenly not about you anymore. It's all about perspective.

Every little thing doesn't have to be perfect. Another theme from another good and true song.

Here's an example of perspective for you. This is Jesus right before the events of the crucifixion, when He knows what is going to happen to Him and He is staring His future in the face.

"Now My heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save Me from this hour'?
No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your Name!"

Wow. One more thing that I realized about my life. I can look back and see a whole life that I have lived...without making a discernable impact in the world for the kingdom. If what I am striving for is my future forever in Jesus' kingdom, why am I so focused on the small, inconsequential earthly things? It can be depressing, but I prefer to make it the spark that lights the fuse.

Some things just aren't that important. Including having a good day. Jesus' worst day in His entire life was also the day He saved all of mankind. Maybe that will help you through your next tough spot.

2 comments:

Lacey Rumley said...

Thanks, Erin...we had a bad day.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Yeah, definitely needed to read that. Not so much a particularly bad day today, but a rough several weeks. Always really good to have things put into perspective. I know exactly what you mean about bad days usually coming from being fixated on yourself. Sucks royally, but it's true. And the part about what Jesus said right before He was crucified...that NEVER ceases to amaze me any time I read or hear it. Yeah, you definitely hit it right on with this post. And I hope your days get better...you're suffering from Jaymi withdrawl, that's all it is. :-D K, I'll talk to you later, kid. Take care and good luck tonight! (Not that you'll read this before your game...'cause you're probably already playing now anyway...but, it's the thought that counts, right?)
~Jaymi