Thursday, March 09, 2006

God's Been Good To Me

Wow, these last few days have been a doozy. I can't go into all of the details because this would be a LONG post, but I will try to summarize for you.

On Monday, I started my new quarter at Rose; at the same time, however, I was informed that my cousin (19 years old) had died and his funeral would be on Wednesday in Flint (or near there), Michigan. I had to talk to both of the professors whose labs I would be missing on Wednesday, but they were really understanding about it.

I left on Tuesday after classes for Flint. A drive that should ahve taken me all of 7 hours lasted about 10 with the wrong turns I took. But I finally made it!

The funeral went as well as could be expected (I missed the viewing because of my Tuesday classes), but it was shocking to see my cousin lying there so pale and unnatural looking. He was so full of life! I wasn't close to him, but seeing his family and friends hurting so badly and knowing that I probably did nothing the whole time I knew him to impact his life in a positive way was really tough. Leaving him at the graveside was tough as well. It was so final.

When we tried to head home afterwards, disaster struck again in the form of a blown-out tire. But God took SUCH good care of us, sending an amazing family our way to pick me and Betsey and the kids up off the highway and fix our car enough to get it temporarily road-worthy again. While I should have ended up in Terre Haute at 10 or 11 my time, Dad finally ended up getting me there at 4 AM. I had class at 9 the next day.

We made it safely, though, and Dad headed STRAIGHT BACK (crazy kid, I know) and he made it safely as well. I've never seen us be so well protected by God so much in such a short spread of time. But I made it on time to all of my classes and no one was injured in the road mishaps and we met an amazing new family.

This weekend I am going on a roadtrip with my roomie (after she gets a tattoo! it's gonna look really cool). Fun times! I went to choir for the first time today. They are GOOD, but it was a lot of fun. I'm tired now, so I will go get ready for my make-up lab tomorrow and then hit the sack. Love you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. And you didn't even include ALL of the things that went wrong. (neutral, rain, no verifiable lane divisions, etc.....) :) God is good.

Your roomie's NUTS! But she's got guts, man. I could never do it.

I always run at least 2 miles. I rarely count laps, though, so I'm not sure of the exact milage. I did run on the treadmill recently, though, and I did 2.5 miles.

LOVE YA!
-Betsey

Anonymous said...

Definitely glad you got back okay and are safe! If you'd ended up in the hospital, I'd have had to do some even worse damage to ya. Have fun on your road trip!!! So jealous. K, later.

Adminswife said...

I am so glad I didn't know what was happening to you girls in GR. If I did, I would have had more things to worry about. Luckily, I let Dad do all the worrying. When I came home from Curves, the garage was open and the car was there - SHOCKING! God was and is good to us. How could we have made it this week without Him? Poor Ruth and family.

Anonymous said...

Ok, you and Mom have to comment on my site every day. Whether I post or not. LOVE it.

-Betsey

Anonymous said...

I try to brighten peoples day.....:-) Thanks for the comment. Have a good one! Bye!

-Melita Jo Veatch The First :-)