Saturday, October 01, 2005

Homecoming

Last night was pretty cool. I was here for the first time ever for a Rose homecoming! We went to a pep rally at 8:30 PM. Coach got up to introduce our senior. We cheered really loudly! All of the sports teams did the same...our football coach was hilarious and bashed fast trackers, hahaha. The pep band was really good this year, which was fun. The drummers rocked! Then we found out who won the frat/sorority banners and had the cheerleaders (actually pretty good this year) and dance squad perform. The dancers...ahahahahaha...had this little Asian guy on the team (that's right, a guy on the dance team) that waas ohso flamboyantly gay. He did all the hip stuff and walked out like he was on a runway. There was a lot of...interesting discussion about him. The homecoming queen was voted for...Danna Sheridan, my SA from last year, won! Yay, I voted for her.


Then there were the fireworks! So cool, it was like the 4th of July again. At the end, they put off a ton of red, white, and blue fireworks, then set off like fifteen "cannons", which I had never seen before...basically big fireballs that make a huge noise! The finale also included abou tten of my favorite fireworks, the ones that don't really have pretty sparks and stuff, but just make really loud bangs.

Then followed the bonfire, a tradition at Rose. It is about 2 and a half stories tall; there is a no-fly zone over Rose during our homecoming because the heat from the fire can mess with the airplane's instruments. Another Rose tradition is the outhouse placed on top of the bonfire. If it falls through the middle of the woodpile, we will win the football game. If it falls off the side, then we will lose. Well, this year, the outhouse burned up and kinda disintegrated before doing either. So I don't really know what that means. The fire was, I hear, not as impressive or hot as it usually is, but I had never seen it before so it was cool. You see, the freshmen had lots of difficulties this year; the base of the fire ended up being made up of treated wood, so that's no good. But I still liked it!

Our volleyball games...well, we won the first match and lost the second. Neither of them were good games for me. I am so sick of working so hard and still being so far behind everyone else. I don't want to look like a fool out there and I certainly don't want to bring down the team. Why can't anything come easily?

So I will probably spend the rest of the day doing homework...woohoo...and/or perusing the homecoming tents and crowds. See you all later, take care!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! That sounds like so much fun. Good for you, kid. A no-fly zone is about the coolest thing I've ever heard of in my life. Was Kyle part of the pyromaniac display? I'm sure he was. Hang in there, girl, I love you!!!
-Betsey

Lacey Rumley said...

Cool! Bye.

--
Luke