Thursday, May 04, 2006

HIP DEEP, BETSEY, HIP DEEP

ADES test went alright. I was really happy when I turned it in (and am still pretty satisfied) but my bubble was deflated slightly (yes, my bubbles can deflate; I was never very good at analogies) when I realized that for the design-space problem he gave us in the problem statement that a<1...and I solved for a<0.8something. Urrg. Plus the fact that there were supposed to be three lines on the graph and I only had two...something's not right. Ooooh well.

THE CHEM QUIZ WAS CANCELED!!!! Hallelujah. My life was saved right then and there. Oh, do y'all know anything about silver nitrate?? Well, let me just tell you what our prof told us at the beginning of lab. "It makes a really dark stain and the only thing that gets it off is wear." Well, that's something of a paraphrase, but close enough. He was right. And apparently I don't pour chemicals into test tubes so much as I splash them onto my fingers and up my arms. I look like a leper. Actually, I look more like a little kid given markers for the first time, or that poor individual who's pen explodes and they don't notice until it's too late.

Incidentally, silver nitrate turns your hands a dark gray-blue and your arms a deep brown.

Didn't get elected for choir. Oh well. I wouldn't have been able to make it during the fall anyways, most likely. Jess quit vball!! :( I was not happy. We'll miss her.

Alright, off I go to not even pretend to be productive. Later, y'all. I shall leave you with a picture that brought me no end of joy.

6 comments:

Emily said...

erin, i just love your stories! i can't wait to see my leperous sister tonight! so is there another choir besides the one you are in that requires a try-out? or did you get booted from the one you are in? i'm confused...

Lacey Rumley said...

Erin - Love the silver nitrate story! Your little nephew actually had a run-in with silver nitrate a couple of weeks ago. Yuck. They used it to cauterize his umbilical stump. (GROSS.) It definitely turned his belly button grey.
Can't wait to see you tonight!

-Lacey

Lacey Rumley said...

Oops, correction - See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Erin, don't kill yourself while you're in Terre Haute! Geez, I'm glad it was only silver nitrate that you chose to spill all over yourself. Hey, hey, guess what!!! Only like 4 more weeks and we can hang out for the summer!!! Well, that is, when you're not working...and I'm not working...and we can think of something to do...that doesn't cost money...that's fun.......yeah, ok, Erin, we're screwed. But, anyway, hope these last few weeks aren't too stressful for ya. Later, kiddo!

Adminswife said...

We won't need the car! Drive yourself crazy (we won't have to help you). Can't wait until the gang gets together today - love that process. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

....umbilical stump....
ugh

guess who