Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Quotes to Chew On

"Now this objection is in one sense very right, very charitable, very spiritual, very sensitive. It has every available quality except that of being useful." - C.S. Lewis in response to the following objections against his use of the word "Christian" to "mean one who accepts the common doctrines of Christianity": "Who are you to lay down who is, and who is not a Christian?" and "May not many a man who cannot believe these doctrines be far more truly a Christian, far closer to the spirit of Christ, than some who do?"

"There are no ordinary people. It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." - C.S. Lewis

"We must decide what sort of immortals we wish to be." - Kathleen Norris

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your second quote is one of my favorites from Lewis.

Anonymous said...

Your second quote is one I put in my journal on Mere Christianity. Love it! I see you've just gotten through the preface and the forward...that's as far as I've gotten, too. (and I'm supposed to be on pg.110.....oopsies)

And I love the quote from the song in the previous post. BTW, I need to rip that off your cd next time I see you. I messed it up somehow on my comp, and it won't play on my mp3 player. Jogging to silence = not fun. :)

Love you,
Betsey

Anonymous said...

Me gustan mucho los colores.

(ha! she'll never decode THAT!!!)

-B

Anonymous said...

HEY! I don't know if you're still on, but if you are, it's like we're IM-ing...without AIM! If only it worked on my comp.....

HI!!!!

-B

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!!! Erin, my friend, if anything(or anyone) is a hoot, it's you. How completely and totally random was your comment!! And, yeah, "what a hoot!" is a funny phrase. Your mom says it a lot, come to think of it. Oh, darlin', are you feeling all right? Your two comments were quite opposite each other, almost like two different people wrote them. Hmmm, you confuse me. But that's good. Keep the mystery, my dear!!! Hehe, ok, I'm outtie.

Anonymous said...

It's Greek to me! Guess you had to be there. Love your updates, even if I don't understand them. Never read the book, probably never will. Love you though!