Monday, February 13, 2006

"Hello, my name is Erin...

And I am addicted to 24."

" 'Ello, Erin!"

Yeah. It's true. Sigh. Sad but true.

Aaaaggh! Is ANYONE else in my boat? What would you do if you had to decide whether to let hundreds of people die in the chance that you might save hundreds of thousands later? WHAT WOULD YOU DO????

Oh man I heart that show. It gets my blood pumping fo shizzle.

KT and I were on opposite sides in this battle...I am of the opinion that it is never okay to sanction the murder of innocents....but KT thinks that to save the people later, some may be sacrificed now. GAAHH!! Yeah, it could definitely pose a debate.

For example, in my Japanese Society class, Dr. Clark (my professor) mentioned a college he taught at that Harrison Ford attended back in the day. Ford went through four years there but partied a little too much and failed two classes his senior year...eight credits shy of his diploma. So, years down the line, he offered a "donation" to the school in the 30 million dollar range if he could get his diploma. Um, bribery, anyone? The college turned him down and the execs are very proud of this fact. Dr. Clark said he would be embarrassed. He said they should have taken the 30 million, who cares about a stupid diploma when Ford has several honorary doctorates from other colleges (what the HECK is an honorary doctorate anyway? an oxymoron at the very least). So I disagree strongly. So 30 million is his price, huh?

Now I know I sound very young and idealistic...but HEY I AM!!!! And I LIKE it. I hope my ideals never change with the cynicism of old age. I know the world has perverted good morals, but it is the strong few that stand up for RIGHT that make the difference.

So...I don't want to spoil the show for anyone else, so I will keep my mention of it to a minimum...but contact me if you want to debate more cuz I got LOTS where that came from. Jack Bauer is my hero (minus the cigars...gross!).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I like you. I hope your ideals do hold out. I know your views will reshape some as you change your mind about certaint things, but I hope your standards never change. You've got some great thoughts, and to lose those would be a shame.

One of the food service ladies here at Grace, Phoebe, is also addicted to 24. And Lost. I should ask her what she thinks about the slaughtering of innocents. Over lunch. :)

Love you,
Betsey

Anonymous said...

Wait...let me get this straight...you're saying something against Harrison Ford? Woah!!! I think I need to mark this day on the calendar. Yeah, I was definitely addicted to 24 last season, but I don't have the opportunity to watch it now. And I'm so glad you're broadening your horizons to more than country...see, I am a good influence on you after all. :-D

Anonymous said...

Re: ideals - Keep 'em, just be willing to grow in them. You sound so much like me 30 years ago. I believe the solution to ethical dilemmas is a concept called "hierarchial ethics". I really reacted against it when I first heard it in college, but I think it is the only approach to your slaughter of innocents scenario that works.

Re: 24 - I watched one entire episode for the first time a few weeks ago and, sorry, it was just so much unrealistic fantasy as far as I am concerned. I was entertained, but not addicted.

Anonymous said...

oops make that "hierarchical>"

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about "24." Except that I don't want to start watching another series of t.v. shows. I can't wait for "7th Heaven" to be done this year, this is the final year they are going to do the show - YEAH! Nothing else new here - love you though!

Emily said...

holy moses! i felt like i should stand up in class and yell "amen!"

that was some good talkin' you did!

Anonymous said...

Ok, my comment has nothing to do with your entry (although after reading everyone else's I feel like I should go back and read it).

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

I love you and I hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I like how the people in your support group have welsh cogny* accents.






*disclaimer: I think that's what they're called. No idea how that's spelled. But I meant it!


-Betsey

Anonymous said...

Yey!!! Aproximently 5 hours ish it'll all be done!!!! Super! Have fun!

-Melita Jo Veatch The First :-)

Anonymous said...

"'Ello, Erin!"

You can't hear the accent in that? I'm seein' it.

BTW, I talked to Phoebe, a fellow 24 addict such as yourself. Her response to whether or not it was ethical to kill a few to save many was, "I think Jack could handle ANYTHING!" Haha. Love Phoebe. Hope that helps you solve things!

Love,
Betsey