Sunday, February 12, 2006

Pile o' Plagiarism

But is it really if I quote it?

ANYwho...me and God had a talk last night. WOW I am so sick of mediocrity and being a pleaser. Not that it EVER works. I realized that my main goal in life is to be happy...and I also realized that being happy shouldn't be a goal in itself; rather, it should be a side effect of a life lived for Jesus. And "happy" may not be the word for it. Contentment may be better. I've struggled with that concept before and can't say that it is quite settled yet. I want to be content with the cards dealt to me, so to speak; and yet, I want to NEVER be content in where I am in life. I want to always be growing and searching and learning. Is that a contradiction? Possibly.

The service today was centered on part of the sermon on the mount. The pastor mentioned something that I had once shared with my sister. Our faith is to be proactive, not reactive. While I didn't say it quite so succintly (hey, the man gets paid to be good at that), it is something that needs to change about my faith. I need to GO, to DO, to SERVE, to actively practice my faith. So many Christians take a passive stand in their faith. I know I do. A lot. But it's sooooo frustrating! How can we make an impact for Christ if we just sit there and let life happen to us? "But we'll offend people if we just go out there with in-your-face Christianity." YEAH, we will! Um, do you think the Jews were super-psyched when Jesus was spreading His Gospel? Remember the Pilate-session? A whole crowd worked into a frenzy, shouting out to crucify Jesus instead of a convicted killer? That's not the by-product of a passive Christian.

Well, here's the plagiarism part. I reallyreally like how C. S. Lewis puts things. And I am glad (sorry, Buzz) that I am not taking it as a course because I think I would rush through it too fast. There's a lot there. Today in church, our song leader mentioned something about being in God's arms and that they are "safe arms, not dangerous arms." It struck me as odd. An alarm definitely went off in my head. {" Mr. Tumnus: [of Aslan] He's not a tame lion.
Lucy Pevensie: No... but he's good. "}

C. S. Lewis puts it this way: "God is the only comfort, He is also the supreme terror: the thing we most need and the thing we most want to hide from. He is our only possible ally, and we have made ourselves His enemies. Some people talk as if meeting the gaze of absolute goodness would be fun. They need to think again. They are still only playing with religion. Goodness is either the great safety or the great danger - according to the way you react to it. And we have reacted the wrong way."

This post is long enough, so I will stop now. But there is SO much more to say. However, I will try to DO rather than to just talk...so off I go to practice what I preach. ;) Hope you have an amazing day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More good stuff from Lewis.

Keep thinking, praying, applying.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts! Definitely thought provoking. I may have to take some time out to re-read Mere Christianity. Talk to you later, kid!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I thought it was funny but I think I might have thought is was more funny if I had seen Lord of the Rings...but anyways. See you later. Bye!

-Melita Jo Veatch The First :-)

Anonymous said...

It's Plumb. She used to have a band, but they split up and she just kept the name Plumb for herself. I can't remember who it was, but someone close to her had problems with cutting, so that's where the song came from. She actually has a few songs dealing with that. She takes a big stand on stopping suicide, which is pretty cool, I think. Her new CD is coming out in a couple weeks and I'd recommend that one to you. I've heard several songs from it and they're all good. So, there's my mini-review for ya. See ya!