Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Shoulda Been a Cowboy!

Well, that's a song, but I have got some of the basics down: a love for Carhartt, country music, cowboy boots, and shooting things. That's right, folks, I have officially shot my first weapons (live and loaded!). I shot some kind of rifle (2 kinds, actually) and a couple of handguns, all with .22 ammo (heh, whatever that means!). Basically, they weren't very powerful guns, but they were guns just the same!

There was an open shoot at the Rose shooting range...SO fun!! Kyle has fired such things before, so I went down with him. There were little target papers and I managed to keep one of mine and pick up a few shell casings before we left. My throat was caked in gun smoke, and I had to wear earplugs the whole time; it was SO COOL! I just shake a lot and those rifles are HEAVY. I don't have the best aim in the world, but I liked it a lot, so I will probably go next Monday too.

So...last night, I went to bed at around 12, seeing as I had an 8 AM lab the next day (today). I set two alarms, pretty sure that I would sleep right through. Later, I woke suddenly and stared at the clock, sure it was wrong when it said 1 something. I realized KT had made some kind of noise, which is what made me wake up, and she assured me that it really was 1 AM and that I wasn't late for my class. Then she went to bed (that is EARLY for my roomie). The next thing I knew, something LOUD and obnoxious was ringing in my ears. I couldn't figure out what was going on and would probably have stayed in bed if my roomie hadn't asked, "Isn't that the fire alarm?" So I jumped (ok, rolled or slumped might be a better word) out of bed and saw the clock: 2 something. Grrrr. Who sets off the fire alarm at TWO IN THE MORNING??? So KT and I threw on robes and went out in our bare feet with herds of other sleepy people. It wasn't a drill. Someone had set it off while burning popcorn in the kitchen; and they had run off and left their burning mess in the kitchen without cleaning it up or opening a window. This is why my lovely night of sleep was ruined. Stupid people.

Moral of the story: two alarms and two false alarms later, I woke up fifteen minutes into my first hour lab. Haha, I am bad at this morning thing. But luckily it was a three hour lab and I walked in while our professor was still blabbing about nothing, so I didn't miss a thing.

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. First of all...Erin with a gun...scary thought, even scarier reality. Ha, you poor, sleep deprived human being. I admit, I did laugh at your expense as I read your story. And, yeah, I'll talk to you sometime. I just have to have enough time...grrr....

Anonymous said...

I miss you in the morning. "Hey, Erin, how'd you sleep??!" Reply: "Grmphhmrrrmblesplh!!!*%$#@" Good times.

I think it's hilarious that you woke up to a noise your roomie made but two alarms didn't faze you. You're a wonder. :)

-Betsey

Anonymous said...

You are so much like youe father.

Anonymous said...

Isn't shooting guns so much fun?! I think it is.

The whole alarm thing makes me laugh. I can sleep through anything at night: dance parties in the hall, people yelling at each other in my room, people throwing things, etc. but as soon as my alarm goes off I'm up.

I hope you have a great Wednesday! I'm not sure when my spring break is but I'll let you know ;). Talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

Must be nice to have a shooting range right there at your school...grumble grumble.

Anonymous said...

How did hosting a recruit go? Wondering what you're wondering! Miss you already!