Saturday, January 21, 2006

Domestic Queen

STORY TIME!

"Escapades of the Woman and Her Pan, Part II"

I made myself a home-cooked meal tonight! It all started form a meager little potato, a container of chopped onions (do you KNOW how much one onion is???? it's ridiculous, really), a container of chili flavoring, two eggs, some chicken/rice/noodle mix, the Pan, and one pot. Oh, and some pinched or yoinked olive oil (pinch and yoink don't quite mean steal).

I washed and chopped that potato like a pro, then put oil, onions, chili spices, and potato into the Pan and turned the burner up. Then I sat back to read about good ole Toshie before I boiled up the water for the chicken/rice/noddle stuff (that's appropriate, btw...and Oriental dish and an Oriental book; so it was a THEMED dinner too! man I'm good). I had been reading a while when Jerkiar popped in. I was excited to see her since she is an SA this year and didn't play volleyball. We talked awhile, she made her ubiquitous Crystal Light, and then she was on her way. I had stirred the potato mixture several times by now to make sure it cooked evenly. Then I discovered I had the wrong burner on. Sigh. Start all over.

I cranked up the RIGHT burner this time and settled in to read again before cooking my Oriental dish. I was interrupted from Toshie getting her first washing machine by the sound of fierce crackling and popping that seemed to originate from...you guessed it, the RIGHT burner. I hastened to turn it down a bit. A lot, that is. Well, it was then that I noticed the potatoes had been cooking a good half hour by now (more if you count the heatless saturation in oil that occurred before I figured out the burner trick); so I started boiling the water for the rice/chicken/noodle mix.

After that boiled, I put in the mix and waited a couple of minutes before adding the two eggs to the potato mixture. Those were some funny looking eggs. Of course, I didn't have milk and I cracked them right into the pan, but still...

The potato dish was done! Fine (I think that's Italian or Greek or something for "finished")! I removed the rice dish from its burner (don't worry, I turned them all off too) and let it cool so it would "thicken", as promised by the handy instructions on the side of the bag. I couldn't wait any longer, so I started eating the potatoes. Despite the fact that my onions had evaporated somewhere between saturation and over-cooking, it tasted great! Of course, that may have been because of the nine hour wait between meals and the yoinked salt I discovered.

Why isn't the rice thickening, you say? Well, perhaps because I guesstimated on the "one cup and three quarters" water measurement (you know, turn on the faucet and turn it off when it feels good). Anywho, I used the lid as a strainer and rid myself of extra juice. By then, however, I had finished off the entire potato dish and an orange (ok, not in my original cast of characters, but he really was there all along), so I just had a small serving of that and put the rest in a container for later.

Phew! That was a long story. But lemme just say, food tastes better after you yourself have cooked it. Try it sometime. And be willing to laugh at yourself. Peace out, folks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Never cook again. You WILL kill yourself. Dear heart, onions do not evaporate. Powdered onion may get soaked up, but actual chunks of onion do not just disappear...you didn't seriously cook them for 9 hours, did you???

You are hilarious. I laughed out loud (very loud, actually). Please continue the saga of the Pan.

much love, you nutcase!
-Betsey

Anonymous said...

I think I have to go with Betsey on this one, onions definitely do NOT evaporate. So, I guess you kinda had a three course meal...in an Erin cooked it sorta way. You definitely made me laugh. Mostly 'cause I could envision you sitting there, attempting to cook your little heart out. Well done, kid, you're well on your way to becoming a gourmet chef...hey, someone's gotta give you some confidence to keep cooking(hopefully without injuring anyone or burning anything down). Haha, talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

I even chuckled a little bit. I guess I am getting more like my mate - tee-hee means hysterical laughter. So, I guess I was hysterical. PTL you didn't need the fire department or the smoke detector going off. Been there, done that! You crack me up! You girls need to come home and get better care! Dad & I went to Coronation (a bit boring) and then to Kelsey's. The food and the tip cost us our whole $50 gift certificate. Mine was great - Dad's was o.k. It was a harried weekend and we are glad it is almost over. Can't wait 'til June!

Anonymous said...

Of corse we won :-) We played Victory....Monday there was no school so Tuesday was sports day,Wednesday PJ day, Thursday western day and Friday Blue and white. And yes the rutine went awesome! People were saying it was the best one they had ever seen :-) I missed you this weekend. Take care Hottie! Later!

-Melita Jo Veatch The First :-)

Anonymous said...

That's great :). I too had a homecooked meal the other night (although I did no cooking). My friend Phil made shrimp creole and my friend Amanda made a chocolate fudge dessert. Even though I put no effort into it, the meal tasted good ;).

I hope school is going well for you. We haven't talked in awhile, maybe I can catch you on IM sometime. Love ya!

Emily said...

man oh man do you make me giggle...