Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Learning Arabic 101

Had my first lesson in Arabic today. Wow, it's going to be tough, that's for sure. Rosetta Stone uses an immersion approach to learning languages, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment. I knew absolutely nothing about Arabic and by the end of lesson one I was just guessing randomly. I'll be going over that lesson again when my brain doesn't hurt as much. It's really a neat program and I am excited to use it and to learn a new language, but I have a feeling the first few weeks will cause headaches. Once I can get past the initial not-knowing-anything feeling, I think it will get a lot better. Oh and all of the letters look the same, isn't that fun?

One cool thing is a keyboard applique provided in the package. I have Arabic letters and symbols on my keyboard now! I don't know how to use them, what they mean, or how to switch my keyboard function to Arabic, but that will come later. Right now it just looks cool.

I'll let you all know as I improve. Maybe soon I'll just chatter away in Arabic. Maybe. At least the numbers are the same.

4 comments:

Tim said...

Well, we took their number system...

Since you ordered Rosetta Stone to learn Arabic Homeland Security probably has a file on you now. They probably have one on me too now that I typed this.

Have fun.

Adminswife said...

Did you know we use "Arabic numberals?" Z & E didn't know that either. Funny - I guess your elementary teacher wasn't very good. Anyway, check your email. Miss you two!

Tobin and Erin said...

Wow everyone. Yes, I knew about the Arabic numeric system we adopted from...gasp...the Arabs. Thus the mention of it in my post. But thank you for being sure to mention it in your comments.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean the numbers are the same? Their 5 looks like a 0. Their 6 looks like a 7.

Have you tried Pimsleur, by the way? I found Rosetta Stone to be frustrating, because they don't provide translations in English.

JFP