Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Few Long Days Later...

The time I have spent on DBF has increased significantly in the past few days. After a superlong work day on Tuesday (that included a fireworks show when the battery wires got crossed - one fuse down) and a few more hours on Wednesday, our plane was ready for a taxi/flight test! Here's a picture of her, skin on and ready to go, and the inside of the fuselage with some wiring (that hooks up my motor and prop to my batteries!!).





























We took her outside to the parking lot for her taxi test, and she performed beautifully! I have a video of it on my phone, so when I am home next I will have to show you all.
Finally, we were ready for a flight test. 10 of us loaded into cars and drove out to the Brazil airport. Unfortunately, a cropduster was using the runway and we had to wait for our turn to use the airstrip. We did get to see the cropduster land and take off multiple times, and we saw the air rescue helicopter come in and land. After three hours of waiting, the guys filling the cropduster with his fertilizer told us they would be done about 4:30. I had to work at 5, however, and it was a 20-30 minute drive back, so several of us had to leave. While we were gone, the runway finally opened up. Our team got the plane lined up on the runway and opened up the throttle. In the competition, our runway is limited to 75 feet. Our plane (shown in the next picture) took off in about 40. :) !!! Way to go, team!














Only a few seconds later....

She took a nose dive almost as soon as our pilot adjusted the control surfaces. It seems to be an instability issue with the plane, or perhaps she stalled because the take-off angle was too steep. We will be problem-solving more today to fix her. The competition is April 18th.
All in all, I'm very excited that she took off! That means the prop/batteries/motor are all working as we hoped. However, there are major problems to fix and all that work we just completed will have to be done again. This is a good step in the right direction, however, and I'll keep you posted as we near competition time. The competition will be held in Wichita, KS.
Also, T and I are heading to Florida on Sunday for break. We will be interviewing, house shopping, and relaxing. I also have to learn to drive a stick, since we will be taking the bug down there. Love y'all, see you soon!

11 comments:

Adminswife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adminswife said...

Amazing! You are something else. Maybe you can fix the plane quickly and you and Tobin take it to Florida. It would save wear and tear on your car.

Driving a stick? Nothing to it. Especially bugs - they are super easy - no clutch problems at all. Almost drives like an automatic. Didn't I teach you how to drive a stick? I know I taught L & E, surely I taught you as well.

Have a super break! We want pictures, pictures and more pictures! Drive carefully!

I hate typos - so that is why I deleted the previous comment.

Adminswife said...

Elyse says: "Could you ride in that or fit in that hole? How big is the plane?"

Tim said...

Congratulations on a positive first step. You will get the bugs worked out. If not, just print MIT across the wings and everyone will think it was supposed to crash.

Lacey Rumley said...

Good job, Erin! I'm excited that your plane flew (for a little bit at least)! And have a wonderful time in Florida. Soak up some sunshine and heat for us! Love you!

Luke said...

That is what the pilot of Oceanic 815 thought: well at least she took off and flew for a little while. Oh the humanity!!!

Tim said...

Wow, Luke put in a Hindenburg reference. He must be a college graduate or something.

I'll have to put something up about him on the smarty pants blog.

Luke said...

...except the bulk of my comment was from Lost, so maybe not so smart (though I did, in fact, graduate - for the record).

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm a history major, and I didn't know what the Oceanic815 was. But then, I haven't actually graduated yet, either.

Erin - you are SO incredible! You and your team! I am way impressed. Sorry the little booger crapped out on you. Hope it kicks tail at the competition!!!

Love you,
Buzz

Emily said...

Whoa!!!!! It flies!!!!!! Erin - you are amazing! Ok, you're school is totally worth every penny...you can make airplanes!

Good luck working out the bugs. You can do it!

Have fun in Florida! Drive safely, and don't worry about learning a stick. It's not too bad, and kinda fun once you learn how!

love you!

Weiss Family said...

Awesome job on the plane, Erin. You're definitely more talented than I.

Hope you have a great time in Florida and that you don't get too burnt. Also praying that you find an amAzing job down there! Love ya, kid.