Thursday, October 26, 2006

I Think the Finish Line's a Good Place We Could Start

On the one hand: I hate when people are hypocritical. Just BE REAL, be yourself! It's so cool to see how different people are and to enjoy all the different flavors of humanity; why would you mess that up by trying to cover up who you really are? Cuz generally the more you cover up, the more boring you become.

On the other hand: Have you ever just been plain petrified to be who you really are? What if you open up just a little bit to reveal the you that's inside, and you get hurt? Is it worth the risk? Is whatever inside really beautiful, like when a bud opens into a flower, or is it ugly and unappealing to everyone who sees it? No one will know til you try.

Can you get used to disappointment? "To defeat the fulfillment of hopes." I don't think anyone can ever get used to the initial pain. If you do, then you're emotionally dead. If it doesn't hurt to see a dream destroyed, then you're no longer really hoping for the dream to become a reality. If you're no longer hoping, you can't be disappointed, according to Dictionary.com.

I miss home. See you guys in a few weeks! I love you all so very, very much. Zilla, let's play some ball when I get home, k? Maybe it'll be in the snow! Elyse, we could make a snowman then! I hope it does snow. Later taters!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We use the word hurt in different ways. There is a differnece between pain and damage. Many times we have to stand up, do an inventory and figure out that even though it hurts no damage was done. On to the next adventure.

Big dreams lead to big disappointments, but also to big successes. We all admire people that persevere, but we don't want to need perseverence in our own lives.

Adminswife said...

You ARE amazing! Don't ever forget that! I like to see the TRUE you! Yes, disappointments aren't fun - but they do head you to God's will. The letter did say that there are OTHER openings. Check it out! Maybe there is hope yet. Playing in the snow...playing ball...visiting...all too much for me. Can't wait until Thanksgiving - all my children will be here - YEAH!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff to ponder . . . I would say I struggle with being myself around people sometimes.

I like it when people are able to type out their thoughts. I'd say mine are such a mess that I can rarely do that.

I love you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks! Thanksgiving is a wonderful thing :)

Anonymous said...

Zach - ball

Elyse - snowman

Betsey - color? paper airplanes? connect-the-dots? draw turkeys by tracing our hands?? YES??

^_^

LOVE.
-Betsey

Emily said...

do you need a visit from your big sister???