Sunday, August 17, 2008

Reporting and Car Shopping

We celebrated Tobin reporting on Thursday night with some red velvet cake, balloons, and streamers. It was the first time I'd made the cake, so the frosting didn't really turn out (you can see frosting running down the sides because it's not very firm). Tobin helped me out with frosting it. Mmm, man that frosting's good. Lots of cream cheese.
















So, on Friday, T reported at the base. It didn't start out so well. He drove my car, and the security guard wouldn't let him on base at first because the windshield was cracked. T let him know he was going on base today, he had to report. So, the next half hour/hour was spent getting a vehicle pass; during the course of getting it, T found out my insurance card was expired and had to have the 'rents insurance company fax him a current card. Arg. Finally, he got on base.

He spent a lot of time asking where to go, since his orders didn't say, but got to the right place eventually. There was lots of paperwork and some powerpoint presentations, but we have a better idea of what to expect day to day. He'll start with IFS training in a month or so, which is Introductory Flight School. We're excited to not be in the dark so much anymore, and we'll find out more next week after T gets a medical exam and begins reporting to muster every morning at 7:30.

AND, over the weekend, we spent a long day car shopping and came home with this little cutie:















He's a Toyota Yaris, and his name is Petrie. :) Since we will be down to just the Prizm after we return the bug to Ohio, we needed a reliable car for T to drive to work every day in. He has an hour round trip, depending on traffic, so we made the decision to go ahead and get this car. It's a stick, so it takes some getting used to for me. I love it, though! We'll let you know more as we figure some more things out in the next week. Later.

5 comments:

Tim said...

Congratulations! New cars are fun...until the first payment is due.

Adminswife said...

What a fun car to have! Congratulations! Enjoy the payments too. We are glad you posted pictures, now I can show the kids what your car looks like (they were wondering).

The cake looks amazing! I have never eaten a Red Velvet Cake, is it good? Looks good! Does it take special flour (I remember it did and that is why I didn't make it). For your frosting, you could have just added a little more confectioners sugar and it would have thickened up quickly.

I expect you to cook me my next meal - you are learning to cook so many new things that I have never tried. Feed me!

Adminswife said...

Elyse says: Cool car!

She is busy playing Game Cube, so she can't possibly be interrupted.

Lacey Rumley said...

Aww, Petrie is very cute. Fun! Is he new or used? And by the way, you still look like MidWesterners! Where are your southern tans?! :-)

Anonymous said...

Petrie is adorable. Both the car and the name. I can tell you picked out the name, Er. :)

Why can't Tobin drive on base with a cracked windshield? Does the military discriminate against poor people??

Being white is sexy. Don't let people who live in sunshine lie to you.

Come back to IN and make me that cake.

Love you guys!

-Buzz